The objective of the action is to increase the share of intermodal transports in the South-East/South-West Baltic Motorways of the Seas link through Klaipéda and Karlshamn. At the same time, the implementation of the Action will considerably improve and enhance the capacity of unutilized rail goods handling on the Swedish side, as well as providing infrastructure investment in Karlshamn.
The activities of the Action will focus on the:
- Improvement of environmental sustainability by increasing intermodal transports in the corridor.
- Elaboration and implementation of a strategy to achieve modal shift, by conducting market studies.
- Increase the loading/unloading speed of containers to vessels, through the purchase and operation of a new crane in Karlshamn.
- Reduction of waiting/transit time with the upgrade and modernization of the Karlshamn RO-RO terminal.
- Increase of the efficiency and capacity for trains in Karlshamn through the development of the new shunting yard and the electrification and improvement of the port rail track.
- Doubling the container handling capacity by building a new combined terminal.
- Preparation for the improvement of hinterland rail connections through the development of design and EIA for the “missing link” Karlshamn-Olofström.